Festival season is upon us! So many awesome music and entertainment festivals coming up – starting with one of my all time favorites, SXSW (aka South by Southwest). I get a lot of questions about shows and which festivals I recommend, so I thought it would be fun to start by doing a breakdown of SXSW and my “pro tips”.
SXSW is a massive festival/conference filled with music, networking, and inspiration in Austin, Texas! This year’s event includes expanded access for all badge types with a ton of new opportunities for learning, networking, and discovery. There are a ton of different way’s to experience SXSW and there’s a ton of information online. I highly recommend starting by browsing Pinterest. There are tons of tips, recaps & ideas. But where do you begin?
1) Identify which badge is right for you. Not sure? Take the Tracks Quiz (on their website) to figure out which type of experience you want.
2) Register to attend
3) Book your hotel – you can book through their online system or use your favorite booking site. I’m a fan of Kayak personally.
4) Make travel arrangements to Austin, Texas
5) Activate your SXSW Social profile and upload your badge photo – you know, get your network on.
6) Create your schedule by favoriting events – they have an awesome tool for setting up a schedule for yourself.
7) Follow @SXSW on Facebook and Twitter for the latest announcements.
There are tons of free shows that you can go to even if you don’t have a badge. I love DO512, they have a ton of free shows and events that aren’t listed on the SXSW site. You can even follow your favorite bands and and they’ll shoot you a notification when their festivals and shows get announced.
Whether you’re going or have major FOMO and wish you could catch all of the bands, I’ve got you covered with a SXSW 2017 Playlist!
You can listen HERE or save the image above & listen on your own!
Also… I’ve gotten a ton of questions about the Avocado Toast pic I posted recently. It just so happens to be my go to “power snack” – perfect to keep you all fueled up while you’re listening to music or wandering around SXSW!
My Recipe for Spicy Avo Toast topped with Soft Boiled Egg & Turkey Bacon
What you’ll need:
1 Avocado (from Mexico – they’re the best)
1 Jalapeno (chopped)
Green Onion (chopped)
Salt & Pepper
Toast (I like Multigrain)
1. Boil a small pot of water. When it comes to a boil, put your egg in and set a timer for 5 minutes. Once the 5 minutes is up, transfer the egg a bowl of ice water.
2. While the egg is cooking, mash up your avocado and add in jalapeño (to taste depending on your heat threshold), a few slices of green onion, salt & pepper and a little garlic powder.
3. I pre make a bunch of turkey bacon for my avocado toast, so I can have it all week. Throw it into a pan and cook until crispy. Make sure you let it cool and chop it up into pieces.
4. Toast your bread.
5. Spread the avocado on the toast & top with egg and bacon!