Ok, so big news… obviously if you’ve been following us you know we GOT ENGAGED! We flew to Cabo for our annual anniversary trip – for more details on why we go to Cabo every year, read the post to learn about how he we met (hint, it involves a date to Cabo). We had the best trip, not just because we got engaged, but because the resort we stayed at was a dream. We’ve officially added it to the top of our list as “favorite hotel”. And that’s saying a lot… we’ve stayed at hundreds and hundreds of hotels.Continue Reading
I literally can’t believe I’m typing this right now… we’re engaged! It’s been a long time coming as most of you know.
It’s taken me a few weeks to share this because we’ve been so insanely busy. I also felt like it was really important to keep it between us. Just so we could really enjoy the first moments and soak it all in. So much of our lives are shared in real time on the internet that it was really nice just being able to celebrate on our own and spend time together creating mental pictures (Jim & Pam reference).
Words literally cannot explain how happy, excited and emotional I am. I’ve always know that Tony & I would get married some day and grow old together, but had zero expectations on when it would happen and was totally in shock when it all happened.
I’m so excited to share some of the details on our vacation, how he proposed & more about what made the trip so special to us.
I also realized I’ve never really given you guys the punk-rock fairytale of how we met & the story of our relationship, so it seems like the perfect time!Continue Reading
A few weeks ago I did an Instagram poll asking what beauty related questions you guys had or wanted me to blog about. Hands down, the most asked question was about teeth whitening. So random, right? Literally almost a hundred people wanted to know how I get & keep my teeth so white.
I will say, I take great pride in my white teeth. Tony and I regularly get comments and questions about our ultra white teeth, which I’ve always kind of laughed at. But I totally get it, no one wants yellow teeth.
I’m kind of psycho about keeping my teeth clean and white. Not only do bright white teeth look pretty, they’re kind of a window into your oral hygiene. Think about it: if your clothes have food stains all over them or you show up to work with morning after makeup all over your face, you’re going to look like you don’t give AF. Same goes for your smile!
Remember that episode of Friends where Ross whitens his teeth? He goes on a date and the girl has a black light in her living room (ok weird, but that’s another story). When he tries to kiss her his teeth are like, unnaturally white and she freaks out? Let’s just say… that image is on my teeth vision board.
So (drumroll please)…. Let’s talk teeth!
How to Get & Keep Your Teeth Whiter than White
1. You’ve Gotta Brush Your Teeth
Crazy, right? But the first step to a sparkly smile is brushing your teeth and flossing (and using mouth wash IMO). And I’m not just talking about in the morning… TWICE A DAY.
You have to brush those bad boys in the morning and at night. Get that nasty night time breath taken care of when you wake up & scrub the food off before you go to bed. Pretty simple.
A few teeth brushing tips from my dentist:
- Soft bristles are the winner vs. hard bristles. The hard bristles actually can wear down your tooth structure. Sometimes people think that the harder the bristles are, the better they’ll clean. But that’s not necessarily true.
- Harder ALSO isn’t better. You’re not trying to scrub the bathroom floor. Plaque is soft and loose, so you don’t have to scrub. Rather than scrub, think about massaging your teeth.
- You should brush at least twice a day for 2 minutes each time. Plain and simple. My dentist recommended popping in some headphones and listening to a song. Most songs are about 2-3 minutes long, so once you’ve listened to your favorite song, you’re done!
- You need a new toothbrush every 3-4 months. AND you need to get a new toothbrush if you’ve been sick. That means every time you get the flu, throw that toothbrush or brush head away and get a fresh, clean new one.
- Start from gum to gum & go up and down. NOT back and forth!
- Don’t forget your gums! Angle the brush at 45 degrees and massage your gums lightly. Oh, and while you’re at it, don’t forget to brush your tongue!
2. My Favorite Teeth Whitening Product
Oddly enough, I haven’t always been a fan of at home teeth whitening products. Normally – I feel like they cover my gums and throat in whitening goo. Burn my gums. Taste terrible. Not to mention, take forever to work. Who has 2 months of daily whitening patience to see a difference?
The other alternative I’ve looked into is getting my teeth professionally whitened. But I’m going to be honest, it’s crazy expensive. I’m all about making smart financial decisions and can’t whole heartedly recommend putting yourself into debt for white teeth.
Enter a new option: The ARC Teeth Whitening System!
What is it?
ARC is a professional level whitening system you can do at home. It’s brand new and sold at everyone’s favorite store… TARGET! It’s super easy to follow and incorporate into your daily routine.
ARC uses known and proven methods of teeth whitening with no extra ingredients, just the same enamel safe whitening ingredient dentists use.
ARC was created after hundreds of companies releasing products with unproven whitening ingredients. Have you seen all of the charcoal gimmicks? Lavender? Pomegranate Seed? Lemon juice? Even though these ingredients might smell or taste good, ARC felt like people were being misled.
ARC also noticed the growing popularity of home-created remedies. When I searched “DIY teeth whitening” on Pinterest, I found so many random tutorials. Including people recommending to mix things like bleach and lemon juice. GROSS! Not just ick, but majorly dangerous! These ingredients can damage your enamel and are NOT always safe for use. You wouldn’t drink bleach, so why would you brush your teeth with it?
How Does it Work?
- The ARC Whitening Kit comes with 14 ARC Treatments, each with 2 strips (1 upper and 1 lower).
- The ARC whitening strips are designed to actually stay on your teeth, so you don’t have to worry about them sliding around your mouth.
- To take your teeth whitening to the next level, you can use the ARC Smile Amplifier. The Smile Amplifier is an LED blue light that actually works. The ARC Light emits blue light at a specific wavelength that targets stains to weaken their chemical bonds (yes – killing those gross coffee stains). When you use the light for the last five minutes of your treatments, it makes the treatment even more effective than with just strips alone. The best part is that the light works for up to 28 treatments!
How Do You Use the System?
- Apply the strips to your top and bottom teeth. Set a timer for 25 minutes and go do your thing. I’ll put them on when I’m getting ready in the morning or watching TV at night.
- When your timer goes off after 25 minutes it’s time for the blue light! You’ll keep this on for 5 minutes, for a total of 30 minutes of treatment. The blue light will beep and turn off once you hit 5 minutes!
- Use them on a consistent basis. I like to do it every day for a week. But you can totally skip a day or two, especially if you have sensitive teeth. But it’s best to keep the treatments as close together as possible.
- You’ll start seeing results after 3 days of use! That’s right, only 3 days until you’ll notice your teeth are getting whiter!
What I Love About Arc
- It’s no BS, just a straightforward, easy to use, easy to follow treatment.
- The treatment only takes half an hour, which is super easy to incorporate into your daily routine.
- The price is super reasonable at only $45 for 14 days of whitening strips + the blue light.
- The strips actually stay on my teeth and don’t leave a nasty taste in my mouth.
- I actually noticed results in 3 days, just like the box said! Which is actually kind of crazy… I love honest advertising!
3. A Few Other Tips for Preventing Teeth Stains
- Steer clear of dark liquids & sodas. I drink my coffee out of a straw, I know it sounds super extra but it works. It keeps the coffee from staining my teeth! Skip the plastic straws and find a reusable glass, metal or silicone one!
- Avoid sipping red wine through your teeth. Throw it back! Kidding, but not really. Wine has a tendency to stain teeth, so be cautious when drinking. I like to keep a little travel tooth brush with me when I’m wine tasting or know I’ll be drinking red wine!
- Don’t smoke cigarettes! Obviously there are a ton of reasons not to smoke, mainly for your health. But tobacco is also one of the worst offenders when it comes to staining teeth.
- Wondering what foods stain your teeth? Anything that can stain a white cotton T-shirt can stain teeth. So if you’re eating a bunch of tasty marinara pasta, rinse your mouth or brush your teeth 20-30 minutes after eating to prevent staining.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of ARC. The opinions and text are all mine.
So WTF is Amazon Prime Day? You guys know I basically live off of Amazon Prime. If I run out of coffee, I can get free same day delivery on my Nespresso Pods, they have tons of cute & affordable clothes, I can stock up on makeup and beauty products and even have toilet paper delivered automatically. You think I’m joking about that last one… nope, I can always count on Amazon to deliver those important items in under 2 days. I even have my own Amazon Store, if you haven’t checked it out yet, it’s a pretty cool way to organize all of my favorite things and share them with you guys!
So what exactly is Amazon Prime Day? Once a year… on July 10th this year at 6 PM PT (9 PM ET) Prime Day is a one-day only world-wide sale exclusively for Prime members. Amazon has a Prime Day landing page, but it’s only show a tiny fraction of all the deals. You might also think that the deals themselves are all that you can save, but there are tons more. AND, there are ways to save more money on top of the deals. If you aren’t somewhat prepared for the sale, you’re going to be overwhelmed. So, I’m giving some of my top tips & picks for shopping the sale. Continue Reading
As the old saying goes… everything is better with bacon.
I mean seriously. Think about it. Cheeseburgers, salads, eggs, breakfast burritos, even chocolate chip cookies. All better with some bacon.
Now that it’s summer, I avoid cooking in the house at all costs. Not only does it make our house a million degrees, I like the excuse to hang out outside and fire up the grill. We love bbq’ing and I’ve made an effort to work on my grilling game.Continue Reading
Cheese Plates are one of my all time favorite appetizers. Ok let’s be real, they’re one of my favorite meals in general. Add some meat and fruit and you’ve got a well balanced meal in my book!Continue Reading
Doug is basically my child. Not basically, I consider him my baby. He goes everywhere with me, sleeps next to me, eats next to me. Tony and I are borderline obsessed with him. He even has his own fancy dog couch in our room that he rarely uses.
Most of the time, when we’re traveling, Doug comes with. He’s even been to Mexico, twice! We’re huge fans of hotels & restaurants that are dog friendly. I’m especially impressed when they go above and beyond to welcome pups. If a restaurant has a dog menu, there’s no way we’re leaving without ordering Doug a meal.
I’ve been working on rounding up my favorite restaurants, hotels, things to do & bucket list ideas in San Diego. I thought it would be fun to share my favorite dog friendly spots in downtown San Diego!Continue Reading
Summer is finally here, so I’ve rounded up a handful of my favorite beauty finds! The babes over at Revolve sent a bunch of their top beauty picks and I did what any normal girl would do, I opened everything up and gave myself an at home spa day to try everything!
They sent over some must-have summer beauty essentials to keep my complexion soft and glowy. Plus, a some low-maintenance makeup products so I can spend less time in getting ready and more of my day lounging by the pool or beach.Continue Reading
One of the most common questions I get asked is why I started blogging. Fun fact, it was an accident!
At no point in my life did I ever anticipate becoming a full time blogger. Until the last few years, I was just making it all up as I went. Stumbling into new career options and opportunities.
The better question is… how did I become a blogger. And part two, why am I blogging today.
So grab a cup of coffee or tea, get cozy on the couch (or prepare your pop socket for some scrolling while you’re laying in bed). Because I’m going to tell you a little more about the journey I took to becoming and full time blogger and some of my upcoming goals!Continue Reading
About 10 years ago, I got bought myself one of the most expensive gifts ever. To this day, I can’t remember the last time I spent $400 on myself in one transaction. I was working my butt off, in college & barely making any money. But I remember the day I got a major commission bonus clearly. I didn’t go to Nordstrom to buy an expensive handbag or shoes, I went to Macy’s (because they have the best kitchen deals) and bought myself a stand mixer.Continue Reading