Sick of pink and purple pastel ice cream? Take a trip to the dark side with a little Goth-inspired ice cream. Black Ice Cream is taking Instagram by storm. But what if you don’t live in LA or New York and can’t find it!? Well, now you can make it at home! Black Ice-Cream is totally a thing and it’s the perfect dessert to match your dark soul.
Black Vanilla Ice Cream With Activated Charcoal Recipe
I’ve posted a ton of ice cream recipes, like my magical Mermaid Ice Cream and even Cake Batter Ice Cream. I always use the same go to base for all of my ice cream recipes because it’s fast, easy & super tasty. The best part is that you don’t need any fancy machinery. There’s no churning or ice cream machines involved! All you need to start is heavy whipping cream & sweetened condensed milk. If you’re ever feeling lazy, you can literally just use those two ingredients and make a pretty impressive ice cream that tastes a lot like Cold Stone’s Sweet Cream flavor.
The first thing you’re probably asking yourself is: what gives the ice cream it’s black color. Activated charcoal! Charcoal is so trendy right now. So what exactly is it?
Charcoal Health Benefits
I’ve seen charcoal pop up in tons of stuff like lemonade, detox drinks, teeth whitening and even in cocktails. I’m not a doctor, but a lot of people believe that activated charcoal is a natural treatment that can be used to trap toxins and chemicals in the body, making it so your body can flush them out instead of reabsorbing them. Oddly enough, one of the most popular uses for it is in treating alcohol and drug overdoses.
After doing a little googling, I found a ton of fun benefits like:
- Teeth Whitening
- Alleviates Gas & Bloating
- Can help with weight loss
- Helps Prevent Hangovers
- Acne Treatment
- Digestive Cleanses
- Anti-Aging when incorporated into face masks
- Can help Lower Cholesterol
I’m not claiming that it makes eating ice cream healthy… but if there are potential benefits, count me in! BUT, you should never overdo it, because activated charcoal consumed on a daily basis may also reduce absorption of certain nutrients or make certain medications less effective.
In general, it’s just a fun and natural way to achieve the black color. It’s also odorless and doesn’t really have a flavor, which is a major plus.
- 1 14-ounce can of Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 2 cups of Heavy Cream
- 1/4 cup of Edible Activated Charcoal
- 1 tablespoon of Vanilla
- Whip your heavy cream: With either an electric or hand held mixer, mix your heavy cream on high for about 3 minutes, or until stiff peaks form.
- Slowly stir in your sweetened condensed milk.
- Then add your vanilla, making sure not to over mix.
- Lastly, add in the activated charcoal powder until it’s completely combined.
- Store in an airtight container and freeze for about 4-6 hours before serving. I love these reusable ice cream tubs!
I served mine in Oreo Cones to make them extra dark! You can also serve in a bowl and top with candy or sprinkles!