Remember when you were a kid (or adult) and you would make cookies & your parents would tell you that you weren’t allowed to eat cookie dough because it would make you sick? I’m still not 100% convinced on this myth, because I’ve never gotten sick & I’ve eaten a boat load of cookie dough in my years. BUT, to be safe… I decided to share my go to recipe for EDIBLE COOKIE DOUGH! For real. It’s an actual thing. Now you can lick the spoon & eat the entire bowl without living in fear. Dreams do come true guys, miracles happen. And this time, in the form of ooey gooey magical cookie dough.
How to Make Edible Cookie Dough
I’ve seen a million people posting about edible cookie dough shops & restaurants. But I haven’t been able to find one in San Diego. So the only obvious solution was to learn how to make it myself. Not to mention that means that I can now make it any time of day, whenever I want! I recently whipped up this recipe and made it into cute little jarred gifts for a few friends.
So what’s the difference between regular cookie dough and edible cookie dough? Let me preface this with the fact that there is no 100% guarantee on “safety”. I’m totally ok with eating eggless cookie dough. BUT, you have to make that decision on your own. AKA, eat at your own risk…
I used to think that eggs were the dangerous part of eating raw cookie dough. But, apparently flour can be a culprit as well. My recipe doesn’t have eggs, but it does use flour. So if you want to be EXTRA safe, you can heat treat your flour to kill potential bacteria. I’ve never seen any heat treated flour for sale at my grocery store, so you can opt for a DIY version (not 100% sure if it’s as effective). I didn’t heat treat my flour, but it’s an easy step you can take. If you want to skip the flour altogether or are gluten free, you can use a rolled oats! I recommend popping them into a food processor first.
Edible Cookie Dough Recipe
- 1/2 cup Room Temperature Butter
- 3/4 cup Brown Sugar
- 1 cup Flour
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 tbs Vanilla
- Vanilla Coffee Creamer
- 1 cup Chocolate Chips
- 1/2 – 1 cup sprinkles
- With an electric mixer, mix your butter & brown sugar together. Then, add in your vanilla.
- Slowly mix in all of your flour and salt. If your GF, you can use any flour alternatives (coconut flour, oats, etc.).
- Depending on the consistency, add Vanilla Coffee Creamer one tablespoon at a time. This is the best way to achieve a creamier consistency & bind the dough without eggs. If your dairy free, you can use any type of creamer. I would recommend using Vanilla or something neutral.
- Once you get your desired consistency, add your chocolate chips and sprinkles. This is where you can get really creative. Add whatever mix-ins you want! Chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, candy bits, cookie crumbles, nuts, sprinkles, etc.!
- Serve in a bowl or ice cream cone! You can store any extra dough in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
To make the dipped cone bowls, I bought mini ice cream cone bowls & dipped them in melted frosting. Then sprinkled them with sprinkles. You can add food coloring as well to create other fun colors.
Like this post? Check these out: